ACE Registered Dietician Natalie Digate recently posted an article on the Ask the Expert Blog about how to have a healthier Thanksgiving. Here is her advice:
1. Fit it all on one plate. Prevent over-stuffing yourself by fitting your Thanksgiving feast all on one plate (This works best if you don’t use an oversize plate filled to the brim). Sample small portions and avoid going back for seconds. If you’re tempted to return for more, give yourself 20 minutes (about how long it takes to feel full) first.
3. Enjoy the company of family and friends. Socialize during your meal and festivities. You can’t eat and talk at the same time — so the more conversation you enjoy, the less you’ll eat.
4. Get moving. Sign up for a local Turkey Trot 5K or 10K and spend your Thanksgiving morning getting some exercise. Not only will you burn some calories, but you’ll also enjoy some holiday fun!
5. Make some easy Turkey day substitutions. For example:
Eat the white meat without the skin instead of the dark meat with skin and shave off 190 calories.
• Turkey — white meat, no skin (6oz): 180 calories, 3g fat
• Turkey – dark meat, with skin (6oz): 370 calories, 20g fat
Make your own cranberries rather than the jellied stuff and save 120 calories.
• Cranberries (boiled in sugar) (1/2 cup): 100 calories, <1g fat
• Jellied cranberry sauce (1/2 cup): 220 calories, <1g fat
Cut the marshmallows on your sweet potatoes and instead add a little bit of spice to save 100 calories.
• Sweet potatoes, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg (2/3c): 200 calories, 3g fat
• Candied sweet potatoes with marshmallows (2/3c): 300 calories, 3g fat
Skip the green bean casserole and instead just steam some green beans and cut 110 calories.
• Steamed green beans (1/2C): 20 calories, <1g fat
• Green bean casserole (1/2C): 130 calories, 7 g fat
Choose pumpkin pie over the pecan pie for dessert and decrease your caloric intake by 160 calories.
• Pumpkin pie (1/8 pie): 340 calories, 15g fat
• Pecan pie (1/8 pie): 500 calories, 25g fat
Add it all up and you find that you’ve saved yourself 650 calories.
• More Healthy Total: 850 calories, 23g fat
• Less Healthy Total: 1500 calories, 56g fat
We also highly recommend taking 2 skinny fiber capsules 30 to 45 minutes before your Holiday meal with 8 to 16 oz of water. You will NOT gain any weight.